Bad Bands La Battambang

​Unlike my last trip two trips to Cambodia, this one is at least of my side of things not structured or completely laid out in an itinerary. There are not a bunch of sites that I want to see. For the first three days I was on my own, mainly adjusting to being home and finding my way around town…also trying to deal with the absence of my wallet, credit and debit cards and drivers' license.

Oh…I didn’t tell you that? Yeah, in my rush to leave for the airport I left my wallet and all my cards at home and didn’t realize it until I was almost boarding the plane.

So, after multiple ideas of how to get me cash, I figured out I could wire myself. So, I will be fine, just won’t be in possession of physical cards and my license for the entirety of my trip.

Once people started arriving, things started to take shape. The meetings transitioned from greeting and getting familiarized to planning and training. We were preparing for our big event in Battambang (a city about three hours away from Siem Reap, over the top of the Tonal Sap lake on the west side).


We were going to Battambang for two sampling events the first was at a charity organization called PHARE Ponleu Selpek (roughly translated to the Brightness of the Arts). Local children can learn about art and music through many different programs.

The drive to Battambang was a little harrowing as pretty heavy flooding had been through the area, and Thailand was releasing water into one of their rivers that fed into a river in Cambodia.  But our skilled driver Vutha got us through safe. 



We were in town for three days, one for prep, one for the event at PHARE and a day at the temples trying to get samples as people visit the Wat for Pchum ben.

Our part of the evening at PHARE was at the beginning. To start the night, we had three Apsara dancers perform a very special dance. They were dressed in all white, and their hair was done in a to beautiful designs of the tradition. 

My understanding is that the dance they presented was, until recently, only performed for the King. Out of respect, when the dance was the observing public was asked to not eat or drink as the custom dictates.

The dance was beautiful. These young women have been training according to the ancient tradition of the Apsara for many years. Their dedication to keep this centuries-old art alive is so inspiring.

 

 

We then had our portion of the show. Which was intended on getting people interested in our project in the hope that they might contribute to our data set. We only had two criteria 1. That they are Khmer (Cambodian) and 2. That they are missing a family member.  Which could be because of the Khmer Rouge, adoption, migration looking for work…really anything counts.

We try to avoid people who are curious about it or want to know about their genetic heritage. Although some of those have gotten in. Every sample counts…you hear me Belshazzar every sample.



 

I had a small part on stage. The moderator asked me about my “exciting” news I just got.  I talked about finding my cousin (not going to minimize it with the 2nd stuff. Family is family).  I talked about how new it is for me and that it’s only been a month, so I don’t really know how to feel about it. So, when she asked me what emotions I was feeling, I had to think.

Is sit possible that I was and am feeling every emotion? Well not every emotion. But many: happy, sad, scared, excited, nervous, maybe even angry. In that moment I started to break, and my voice showed it.  The MC said translated what I’d said into Khmer and the crowd started to clap and cheer.  She told me that they crowd was behind me and were excited for me.

 



Overall, the night was a success. We end up getting five peoples’ DNA and enjoyed some good musics. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving for Cambodia Again

16 + 16 = Suck and 32

7 generations