In to Cambodia

 Having been in Cambodian two previous times, I figured I would be ok getting through passport control and customs. I was wrong.  

It occurs to me now that the process of entering the country has been different each time.  But the last time was just over a years ago so it shouldn’t be that different. Oh but wait, I’m at a different airport and it has been a year so… yeah I had no idea what I was doing.  You know all that visa nonsense should have been a hint that more was to come. 

For people coming off the plane who had their e-visa and entry card it was smooth and fast.  I was in that group so I sped through the passport control but was curious if I could maybe get my type-k visa (the permanent) that I used to have.  

Turns out not yet.  Because I already entered on my current e-visa I could change my status this trip.  Ok fine, I can do that.  

So off I was to claim my suitcase and get a ride into town. Next thing I knew I was outside without my suitcase looking lost and confused.  

I somehow missed the baggage claim area. So I had to be led back through the airport by a security officer.  She looked really bothered by me.  I know all too well what the face of a woman who is bothered by me looks like…this is really the only thing I know for sure in multiple languages. 

When she left me by the carousel I said,  I turned to her offered her a sampeah (palms of my hands pressed together chin level) and said orkun (thank you) her hard experimented to a lovely smile and she returned the gesture   

Kindness and gratitude can go along way.  I image her job is pretty thankless so maybe me being kind made her day, or she thought I was like a cute puppy doing a new trick.  

Pictures and videos of leaving the airport…without my luggage and me riding a tuk-tuk to my home stay  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving for Cambodia Again

Healing is a community process.

What I've Learned This Time Around